The EXP.22, III International Festival on Experimental Photography, will be held in Barcelona from July 20 to 24, 2022. Now you can register to share the five days of the festival with the entire world community. You can also consult the program on this website. The information about the virtual festival will be available during the month of June. Please read all the information below and see you in Barcelona for our experimental summer camp!
50 artists. 300 participants.
50 volunteers. 14 workers.
40 conferences. 80 workshops.
14 horizontal portfolio review.
5 conceptual exhibitions.
1 summer camp.
1 home, Barcelona.
Do you want to participate?
More than 300 international artists and photography lovers will meet with the aim of generating a common space to share, learn and discuss experimental photography in its many facets: from the creation of cameras, optics, and films to printing processes, intervention, and production of copies, exhibitions, and photobooks. The non-profit Association Experimentaphotofestival has been created with the aim of making this event possible based on horizontality, gender equality, and transparency.
Among the organized activities are conferences, discussion panels, project presentations, workshops, portfolio reviews, dinners, concerts, and collective exhibitions. Five intense days with activities from 10 in the morning to 12 at night in the middle of the Mediterranean summer. We call on photographers of all levels interested in experimental photography in a broad sense to come to Barcelona to make our three challenges a reality: mixing techniques, searching for the message, and creating collectively.
1. The International Festival of Experimental Photography EXP.22 is open to photographers of all levels (consolidated or beginners), techniques (analog and digital), countries and languages, interested in experimental photography in all their aspects.
2. The general registration fee includes:
One or two workshops of a session of 4 hours (half a day), depending on the ticket purchased. These workshops are going to be exchanged for those in the final program, as well as you will have the chance to buy more.
Participation in a horizontal portfolio review where a specialist and an international artist will help you enhance your work.
Entrance to all festival activities during the five days: conferences, discussion panels, project presentations, portfolio reviews, dinners, concerts, and exhibition openings.
The festival merchandise: a tote-bag and the official catalog (150 full-color pages with a game and theory).
The possibility that some of the photographs included in your dossier may be chosen by the curatorial team to participate in one of the conceptual exhibitions. The festival does not loan already produced exhibitions by authors who do not come to the festival, but we create them with international curators from their conceptual projects and your materials: the invited artists come to do workshops and conferences and the participants to share, to create collectively, and exhibit!
Participation in our Market for the exchange of works and photographic objects between artists where you can sell your work to all the participants of the festival without commission, all the profit for you!
If you give us your permission, we will share one of the images in your dossier on our social networks so that the whole community knows that you are coming to the festival. This strengthens the community and allows everyone to get to know each other even before coming to Barcelona.
3. Individual workshops cannot be purchased without paying the general festival registration fee. When we present the program, you can exchange the purchased workshops for the final ones and buy more until your calendar is filled. They will have one session (4 hours for € 70), two sessions (8 hours for € 140), and three sessions (12 hours for € 200). The price is closed and the same for everyone and has to do with the number of hours, regardless of the subject or technique. The workshops have the same price as last year but now they include bank and platform management fees and a 21% tax (VAT). The price of the festival is the same for all participants and does not include accommodation, transportation, or food.
4. The maximum number of participants will be 300 and the registration process will close once this quota has been reached.
5. To carry out the registration, you have to fill in the registration form that you will see on this page, attach your dossier (to be published on our social networks and participate in the selection process for exhibitions), and go to the payment platform. The entire procedure must be done continuously, so we recommend that you prepare your material in advance. During the payment process, you will be asked for a Passport number, NIE/NIF/CIF that must be provided solely and exclusively for accounting and tax matters. Sending the dossier is optional but we always recommend sending some images, even if they are just a few, to have something to share and start a dialogue. If you have any questions about the process, you can write to us at email@example.com
6. The dossier can include up to 10 photos and a description of the project and/or an artist statement. They can be from a single project or different photographs selected by the participant. Those who submit a clear, coherent, and complete project will have a better chance of being selected for exhibitions. The images will be attached in .JPG format with the name of each work, without exceeding 20 Mb between all of them. Sending us images via WeTransfer, to our email or TIFF files or other documents outside the form will not be accepted.
Rules and norms
1. The festival has no "theme". It is organized based on experimentation and three challenges created during EXP.21: mixing techniques, searching for the message, and working collectively. The projects and photographs presented can be of all kinds and themes, even if they have already been exhibited, published, or awarded previously. We accept dossiers or works made by multiple authors (as in the case of film swaps) but each of the authors must pay their general registration fee if they both wish to participate in the festival activities in Barcelona.
2. If you think you can participate in the festival by giving a workshop or explaining your work at a conference, send us an email with your idea after submitting the form. The festival program is nourished by both invited artists and participants that we invite to collaborate, without changing their status as a participant. All conference participants have to assign their image rights to the Experimentalphotofestival Association in order to be part of them so that they can be disseminated in the online festival.
3. During the event there will be five exhibitions and each curator will freely choose among all the dossiers presented by the participants. The selection is final and unappealable. Each curator can decide the number of artists to exhibit and how to do it according to the space that has been allocated by the organization and the budget. It is not possible to participate in the exhibitions without registering for the face-to-face festival.
4. The participants who are chosen to participate in the exhibitions will not have additional costs, but their participation and presence are required from July 18 for the assembly. May 1st will be the last day to present dossiers for the exhibitions, after this date the registrants will not have the right to participate in them.
5. The curators will contact the artists selected to exhibit and will have to send the required images in high quality (high-resolution TIFF 3000x5000, 300DPI) within 15 days to start the production of the exhibitions. As decided by each curator, the works can be brought in by the artists or reproduced by the festival and must remain in Barcelona throughout the festival. All the people who will exhibit in Barcelona, approximately 60, must sign a contract for the loan of the original work or the use of the image for the copies, which includes the right of the curator to intervene and modify it with an experimental objective.
6. To participate in the workshops and in the horizontal portfolios review it is mandatory to make a previous reservation since these have a limited capacity. Starting in April, the workshops will be revealed and reservations will be opened in the order in which they were registered for the festival. Please keep an eye on email as workshops can sell out quickly. To attend conferences, discussion panels, and presentations of projects and experiences it is not necessary to book in advance.
7. The official communication channels of the festival are our email account, Instagram @experimentalphotofestival with the hashtag #experimentalphotofestival, facebook.com/experimentalphotofestival, and twitter.com/Experimentalpho. For better communication, we have created a Telegram group where everyone can get in touch with the other participants and share information, doubts, and queries.
8. During the festival we will have a stand where all participants and artists can sell small objects, such as books, films, fanzines, cameras, or postcards in a 20x30-centimeter space, without any cost or commission to pay. The only thing that they are asked to do is that the products have a single price to simplify the payment and the refund of the money. In the month of June, a call will be opened for them to propose products to sell and we will make a selection according to the type so that it is as varied as possible. Later, we will inform the selected ones and the place where their products will be sold. Everyone must pick up their products before Sunday at 7 pm. The organization is not responsible for the shipment of the material that remains after this moment and all expenses generated will be borne by the artist.
Ready to share, learn and discuss experimental photography?
See you in Barcelona!
The registration entails the automatic acceptance of the following rules, the same for all participants
The participants grant the Experimentalphotofestival Association the non-exclusive right to disseminate and reproduce the photographs sent digitally (always indicating the name of the photographer and the title of the work) for promotion (for example newsletters, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin, the sites festival website, Ágora, IEFC, Centro Cívico Pati Llimona, La Clandestina and the galleries where the exhibitions are held), for exhibition, educational and commercial purposes. No royalties or compensation will be paid for that. The photographer retains all copyright and ownership of the works. However, it must also be taken into account that third parties such as educational institutions, journalists, search engines, or individuals may download, save, store, or archive images from our website with or without our knowledge. The Experimentalphotofestival Association will not have control over such download and the subsequent use and, therefore, cannot accept responsibility for such use. Participants assume and accept all legal and financial responsibility for any infringement of the privacy, property, or copyright rights of others, caused by the creation or presentation of their work in public.
The participants assign their images rights to the Experimentalphotofestival Association and this does not have the power to assign them to third parties without express consent. By registering, you authorize the Association to capture, reproduce and disseminate the images of the festival where you are in a fixed image or video format without geographical or temporal limitation and free of charge.
The Experimentalphotofestival Association reserves the right to exclude from the festival those dossiers and participants that violate the general conditions of participation or that violate our values, copyright, human rights, or privacy.
The Experimentalphotofestival Association is the organizer of EXP.22 III International Festival on Experimental Photography and the Agora of Experimentation, which means that the assignments of rights to the Association automatically allow their use by both events.
Tickets purchased for the festival are not refundable in any case. If the participant decides not to come to Barcelona (or there are border closures or quarantines), their ticket can be converted into one of the online festival so that they can live the experience from anywhere in the world.
The Experimentalphotofestival Association reserves the right to make changes to the program until the last moment and, depending on the evolution of the pandemic, to require a Covid test at the participant's expense to access the festival. The purchase of a ticket is equivalent to the purchase of five days of activities and not to a specific workshop or activity.